Reply To: plasmapheresis through Bard Clearvue Power port French 6?

August 29, 2019 at 9:50 pm

Yes I meant 1 g/kg thanks for the correction

We’ve had a consult with an interventional radiologist and her current port can’t be used for plasma exchange.

Bard makes a double lumen catheter for PLEX and they have a low profile PLEX port in the works but it’s not available yet.

I think what I’m learning is that while the studies say IVIG and plasmapheresis are equally effective this is only true in the aggregate but individuals sometime respond better to one than the other.

My daughter had a hyper viscosity Syndrome even before her first round of IVIG, which the IVIG made worse before it made it better…

I think she would have benefitted from PLEX except that the physicians were afraid of lowering her already low blood pressure if they used PLEX.

A reasonable concern to be sure but I notice here and on other forums people who have gone into remission have had PLEX followed by IVIG and another agent.

So it seems to me the best chance for remission lies in using multiple treatment modalities.

If you switch to PLEX I hope you will post to this thread and share your experience.