Reply To: Bilateral foot drop and unstable standing

February 14, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Before you quit…Have you investigated other ways to keep your job? Depending on where you are, there should be rules/laws about disability accommodations. Something as simple as chairs/adjustable height stools could extend your current position. I’m guessing that as we age our previously controlled symptoms might creep back, similar to during periods of exhaustion.

I was born with foot drop- right foot (unrelated disability). PT at the hospital assumed the foot drop was a result of the GBS, so I was fitted for a set of orthotics which have caused very bad issues of their own…even 5 years down the road. (Bad fit= feet sliding= toes crushing= toenail issues= pain.) [long story] Proper fit is essential. (A few months after I started wearing them, the fit was so bad that the Orthotics Dude (not his official title) came to my home for a re-evaluation. He told me I’d have to wear them for the rest of my life. As he got into his car I said, “F*** that s***” and took the things off and threw them into my cellar. Then, after I got the things out of the cellar, I threw them into the garbage.

If you love (or even just really like) your job DO NOT give up. Figure something out.