Reply To: Shortness of breath I mo after IVIG

jk
February 10, 2018 at 8:34 pm

What’s the phrase I’m looking for? I like GH’s reply, it is concise, succinct and meaningful.

I’m feeling like chatty cathy right now.

Do you have any information on what basis the 2nd neuro made the diagnosis? For example, according to the literature did you have an MRI showing lesions in the spinal cord? In some people a Lumbar Puncture (LP) will have both elevated protein and elevated white blood cells. Sometimes a blood test looking for other diseases and the presence of certain autoantibodies is sampled.

In any event, apparently, the treatment for Transverse mhyelitis and CIDP/GBS are all similar. Specifically, Intravenous corticosteroid drugs, Plasma exchange therapy, Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), Pain medicines. Differing treatments include anti-virals.

Further, it is unlikely that your description of left foot weakness, right foot weakness and left hand weakness matches the 1st neuro’s diagnosis of “bilateral axonal damage of only one nerve” because you’ve reported muscle weakness in these multiple limbs.

As B stated, generally shortness of breath is not a side effect of IVIG. And as B and GH asked- what is your follow up plan?

One 5 day set of treatment is not likely to be productive in the long term for either condition.