Reply To: Effects of GBS over 2 years later

January 29, 2018 at 2:06 pm

I am sorry to hear about your depression. And I understand how they came about. Not knowing about the details (your age now and when you got GBS), it is hard to say something constructive. But do not lose hope. As noted above, I had GBS in 1972 when I was 21 and have had a wonderful life. It was not the life that I had imagined. For example, I participated in over a dozen sports before GBS. After GBS, I could not run, so those run-oriented sports were gone for me. I tried cross-country skiing, but that did not work (my weak ankles and foot drop in both feet did not help). So, I adapted to my new life. I focused on my work and family (even sharing a Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore as a member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). And I found a group of people enjoying birds – so I became an avid birder.

But some days are better than others. I would concentrate on the good days and focus on what makes you fulfilled and even happy. I know nothing about depression, but I hope you can overcome it through therapy, pills, exercise, family, etc. Just try to enjoy your new life – not what you had imagined, but it is what it is. Good luck!