Reply To: Exercise during GBS recovery

October 26, 2017 at 10:45 pm

To Electra: Thank you so, so much for your comment. So incredibly helpful. I really like your explanation of “pacing” – definitely makes sense. A log book is such a good idea. I hadn’t thought of that but will definitely give it a go. I am absolutely learning more and more that recovery from GBS is a “fluctuating learning curve” which requires a lot of patience and self-compassion (two things I probably needed to learn), and completely know what you mean about stepping down from a curb! And stairs, or on a bad day, any kind of incline of the ground. I remember learning at uni that for an untrained elderly person, just stepping up a stair can require up to 90% of their one rep max for quadriceps strength… I’m like, well that’s me now – but patience.

Thanks for the link to the article. (I’m completely technologically challenged as well, don’t worry.)

Also, do you have any tips for explaining to people e.g. employers, colleagues, what recovery from GBS actually involves? Because it is difficult to explain and for people to understand that just because I don’t need my walking stick all the time anymore, and I look “completely normal” (unless I try to walk a moderate distance on a good day/shorter distance on an average day), it is still a long process to full recovery.

Thanks again! Good luck to you. I wish you all the best with your recovery journey, and know that you have the strength to achieve whatever your goals are! (That goes for everyone who is reading, too.)