Reply To: Starting Plasmapheresis on Monday. Have questions

October 23, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Well, it’s been almost a month since I finished my treatment. I did 5 treatments. On, On, off, On, off, On, off, on. Prior to starting the treatments, I was walking with a limp, no muscle strength in hands, could not open cans with manual can opener, my calves were constantly tight.

2 weeks after the treatment, I’m no longer limping, but overall I would say the treatment was not successful. Feet and hands still burn, tingle and feel numb. I still can’t run, I still can’t open cans, I still can’t …….

The treatment itself wasn’t bad. The most trauma was the placement of the catherer, and the constant pain from that placement. First 3 days after the placement I had to take pain pills. I did have an allergic reaction (hives) the 1st treatment, so I received IV benedrayl (horrible), and then a pill of Benedrayl each time before my treatments. The lowest my BP ever dropped from 90/45.

I have a followup appt with neurologist on Fri, and I guess I will start on the Prednisone (which is something I NEVER wanted to do but I feel like I have no choice. Neuro won’t do the IVIG because I had bad side effects after day 3. I want my life back. I want to feel well again, and be able to do all the things I use to. So will try a very low dose of Prednisone (maybe 10mg).