Reply To: Exercise during GBS recovery

October 22, 2017 at 12:07 am

Thanks so much for your reply and your suggestions! I have thought about water aerobics and it’s coming into summer here (I’m in NSW, Australia) so it will be a bonus to cool down. (I can swim fine – pre-GBS, have not been in a pool since then – I’ve always just been really slow) Trying something different might be good for me too ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with finding a job that suits you! I hope it all works out for you and you find something that is the right fit.
I am studying physio (my experience with GBS has actually been quite interesting from a professional perspective, experiencing what it is like to be a patient), but usually work waitressing/bartending which is definitely still off the cards (the fast-paced nature of hospitality is one the reasons I really enjoy it – but not too helpful at the moment, of course).
Do you have any tips for knowing how to “pace” yourself? I’ve been told that I need to pace myself by about 50 different people, but I struggle with that because I’ve always been a “go, go, go” kind of person and have always had trouble “pacing myself” in general in life ๐Ÿ™‚ Since GBS, I don’t usually recognise when I’m “overdoing it” at the time, it’s not until the next day when everything is tight, sore and walking around isn’t too easy that I realise I have overdone it. And it doesn’t help that each day is different in terms of limitations and fatigue tolerance. Any tips?

Thanks again! Best wishes to you.