Reply To: CIDP and Medicare

June 11, 2017 at 4:53 pm

My Rituximab treatments are billed under Part B at a total of $19,362 a pop and Medicare pays $5,193. I get four treatments per year at present and end up paying about $524 out of pocket for each treatment (after the supplement pays). Without my Blue Shield Medigap N ($136/month), I’d probably be on welfare or worse.

Once I’m done with Rituximab after this summer (my CIDP has been in remission for several years now), I will probably drop the Medigap coverage because I won’t have any other high cost treatments to deal with and original Medicare Parts A & B + a special Part D plan, should cover most of my expenses.

I think to best navigate Medicare costs one needs to have an accounting background these days! Or a friend as smart as jk!

Being able to have enough financial savvy to weigh different options and accurately forecast total Medicare costs is necessary if you want to reduce your overall expenses. Then when you think you have it all figured out, they change things so you have to do it all again every year! This is why so many Medicare advisor businesses are flourishing. I started using one myself last year and learned some new things about shopping for Medicare policies.