Reply To: Have CIDP and Diabetes?

May 18, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I just had my last Solumedrol of the six day course. My blood sugar was ranging higher than it was when I took the Prednisone last month. It has been a major battle for me trying to get what I consider appropriate treatment for all of my medical problems. I have gone from getting blood sugar checks four times a day down to once a day, twice a day when on the steroids. When I am in control,of what I ear, I have gone up to three weeks without needing any insulin. I am currently living in a skilled nursing facility, so I have to eat what I am offered.

I also have had eye problems that have been treated with Prednisone eye drops and implants in the eyes. Those have also messed me up in putting on weight no matter how restrictive I am with my diet. I really don’t understand why they would treat problems caused by high blood surgery with drugs that cause high blood sugar. I have had cataracts and retinal bleeding.

My neurologist seems to be waiting on having the diagnosis of CIDP confirmed by the University of California at Irvine Neuromuscular Center, which I have been waiting for three months and still have three more months to wait.After having the five day hospital stay cost close to $300000, the insurance company doesn’t want to pay for an expensive treatment for an unconfirmed diagnosis. Both the Prednisone and the Solumedrol showed definite improvement but only lasting about two weeks. Living in a nursing home is very expensive and my money will run out soon, so I need to be able to walk so I can got home. Having had treatment delayed for a year and a half has been costly.

Thanks for you reply, Bryce. I think that I will probably wind up trying an immunosuppressant once I get a firm diagnosis.