Reply To: subcutaneous infusions

April 26, 2017 at 8:45 am

Sandy, when I was doing SubQ infusions they were successful. It controlled my CIDP and I tolerated the drug being given SubQ. I just decided to go back to IVIG because I was not having vein problems or side effects from the IVIG infusions and they were needed less often. But yes, SubQ is a good alternative if you can’t tolerate the IV infusions. You get smaller amounts of the IG more often so you probably will not have as many side effects. The one downside I did not like is I had to stick 3 to 4 tiny needles into my skin in order for the amount of IG needed to be able to be administered. The tiny needles are so small they hardly hurt (feel like a pin-prick) but I still did not like it. The IG is administered in between the skin and muscle layer (subcutaneous area) so you will have pouches of the liquid in the area you administered the IG until it absorbs. (It takes a while for your body to absorb the liquid). Also I have heard that some people have site reactions where you stick the needle. Redness, swelling and itching. I did not have this. I also heard that you might end up with hard nodules in the areas you stick the needles over a long period of time as scar tissue will form. Best thing I did like is I was in control of when I did the infusions and no nurse involved. I could do it very late at night while watching TV or bring my stuff and do it at work while sitting at my desk. I do advise moving to a 10% solution of IG as I stayed on the 5% solution and I just needed too much IG in one setting making my infusions take too long. Good luck!