Reply To: Hello from Houston

February 27, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Hello again Jeff,
My neuromuscular neurologist that I have used since 2015 is Dr. Aziz Shaibani 6624 Fannin, #1670 77030; 713.795.0033 and fax 713.796.9302 Email shaibani@bcm.edu . Dr. Jeffrey P. Gaitz, M.D. (Memorial Hermann) is the general neurologist by way of my PCP that referred me to Shaibani. He does require a referral, just so you know, because of his specialty. He is affiliated with Baylor.
I will be changing neurologists in May but it is because my insurance situation has changed.
I am sad to report that I think that I may be relapsing and have had to stop working but I’ve not lost hope. I may not be able to receive Ivig in the near future but I will just wait and see what is around the corner for me. I have faith in myself and my Drs.
I do hope that you enter into a stable holding pattern and the treatment works for you. On the subject of pain; I recently purchased an Icy Hot TENS unit. It does not take the pain away long term but when I need it the most it has been wonderful. I have excruciating low back and hip pain and it really interrupts the pain signals long enough for me to get some relief at the times I need it the most.
I really benefited from PT. I am considering it again if I start to have major difficulties again. I went for about 3 months and it helped me with balance, endurance, strength and gave me an idea of what to do at home also. If you get it approved; take advantage of it. You don’t need your muscles wasting away.
Ups and downs are expected with this disease and I am on the down-side right now but optimistic. Maybe we will run into each other at the meeting. All the best to you and yours.
Warmest regards,
Amarie