Reply To: Miller Fisher – Double Vision worsening!

November 20, 2016 at 11:54 am

I also tried the prism glasses, and they didn’t work for me. My double vision was severe, not just blurry. My eye doc had special instruments and could measure my diplopia accurately, which would be the distance between my double images. He said it was definitely neuro-muscular. I went to a visual therapist/balance therapist, and they are truly the best and most informed, as Tarhealing describes. They helped me tremendously. My double vision, however, did not improve sufficiently, so I was referred to USC for what is called strabisimus surgery, which is what they do to correct lazy-eye in children. It’s an out-patient procedure. This adjusted my eye muscles so that I could have singleness of vision again. And it worked amazingly well. It took a while for my brain to adjust to the “new” vision, but it was successful, and I know a couple of other MF folks who had the exact same surgery, and are fine. Up until then, I wore an eye patch over my affected right eye during the daytime. And for the last six months, my optomatrist made for me an “occluder” which was a contact lens with a dot on it the size of my pupil. This was like an eye patch, and worked quite well. After my surgery, and that was 15 years ago, I was fine and have been since.

Angelflow, from what you describe, it does not sound as though your vision is anything near as serious as mine was, and I think, with visual therapy, your’s may well correct itself. For the majority of MF folks this is true. But please know, that if it does not improve the way you expect, there is still hope! You will live through this. It seems like a long time in the day-to-day, but it’s a valley… and there is an other side.