Reply To: CIDP & Amoxicilan/Clav (augmentin sub) question

jk
May 23, 2016 at 8:17 pm

I did not know what Amoxicillan/lav is. I looked it up: “Amoxicillin and clavulanate combination is an antibiotic that belongs to the group of medicines known as penicillins and beta-lactamase inhibitors. It works by killing the bacteria and preventing their growth. However, this medicine will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.”

A search at Mayo Clinic finds there may be side effects as follows: “Incidence not known- Abdominal or stomach cramps or tenderness back, leg, or stomach pains”

The Cleveland Clinic in a 2010 Publication on Peripheral Neuropathy reports- well see it at:

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/neurology/peripheral-neuropathy/

Go to Table 1. Neither amoxicillin nor clavulanate are listed as known to cause trouble.

I do not recollect any problems with antibiotics during my many years with CIDP. Although I also had IVIG monthly, it became necessary to have IVIG weekly, for what seemed like a long time. Your sluggishness may be CIDP related, not Rx related.

Be sure to report to your neurologist if these symptoms continue or worsen.