Reply To: Metal toxicity

July 15, 2015 at 11:06 pm

There are hundreds of voices here in the forums that say the Flu shot preceded their case of GBS/CIDP. Many of these reports are evidence-based or concluded from first hand experience. The reports are overwhelmingly con Flu shots. Only a handful of voices are pro Flu shots, GH being one of those.

Some of the voices here are not up to date as to the developing scene surrounding the connection between Flu shots and GBS. A 2013 meta-analysis study focused on association of GBS and influenza A (H1N1) vaccine and showed an increased risk of GBS. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has developed a new report for the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Health that now has been published. The report concluded that VICP criteria was obsolete and needed to be updated with regards to the connection between GBS and influenza Vaccines.

There are proposals being reviewed right now to change the Vaccine Injury Table (VIT) to include GBS as a fully covered injury from seasonal flu shots with a timeline of 3 to 42 days after getting a shot. The proposed change to the VIT is summarized here:
http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/updatevaccineinjurytable2013.pdf

Without this needed change, GBS sufferers have to appeal their cases through the Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program. Over 90% are awarded a settlement because credible medical and scientific evidence is now available supporting the fact that there is an increased incidence of GBS following Flu shots.

For those interested in understanding the true purpose of the VICP, here is what is stated on the HRSA website:

Purpose of Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
In the 1980s, expensive lawsuits over injuries caused by childhood vaccines acted as a deterrent that kept many companies from working to develop new vaccines, even when those vaccines could provide a clear societal benefit. In addition, people and families who had been injured by childhood vaccines spent large amounts of money and time seeking compensation through complex court cases.

In response, Congress established the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) in order to:
– ensure an adequate supply of vaccines
– stabilize vaccine costs, and
– provide an accessible and efficient forum for people who are injured by certain vaccines.

The VICP offers a streamlined approach to compensate victims and their families in the very rare instance that a vaccine causes injury. It is a no-fault system, paid for by a small tax on every vaccine.

The VICP went into effect on October 1, 1988. Since that time, the number of lawsuits involving vaccines has decreased markedly, companies continue to manufacture vaccines, and new vaccines are being developed.

My personal opinion is getting a Flu shot is like playing Russian Roulette. I won’t take that kind of risk. I respect the decisions others may make regarding their lives and the Flu shot. I can understand that for a few, there may be a greater risk to them by not having a Flu shot. This is a personal choice and hopefully a medical professional is involved in helping them make these choices.