Reply To: Rituximab

December 12, 2014 at 12:10 am

I’m on my 2nd round of 720 MG Rituxan this week, it’s about a 4 hour Chemo Therapy treatment for me with a standard IV (my days of the tunneled catheter for PE are way behind me, ditto the PICC line for IVIg).

It was determined that my Anemia was due to abnormal clonal B cells in the marrow. The Rituxan is supposed to “take them out” by marking them as bad guys so my T cells can kill them off. My Hematologist/Oncologist said it could take 4-6 weeks for this to work on my Lymphoma.

Side affects for me include extreme itching all over (broke 3 finger nails scratching), muscle pain in legs and hips, squirmy-twitchy-restless legs (kept me awake at night), couldn’t sleep more than 2-3 hours at night (night following infusion), feeling of being very bloated, constipated, and just plain yucky. Some of this is said to be due to the Benadryl (legs). The itchiness was stopped by increasing the Benadryl to 25 MG, but the Benadryl has its own side affects for me.

I have about 6 more treatments to go and am not looking forward to it. If it helps to keep my CIDP in remission it will be worth it, but I just want my Anemia to be over with right now.

Anyone else on Rituxan for Anemia or Lymphoma?