Reply To: pain meds-fentinol patch

November 28, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I was on three fentinol patches while in the hospital (25 mgs? each, 75 total) but asked to be weened off one at a time before I was released. I was hospitalized for 4 1/2 months, so I had time. I didn’t want to become addicted, so I bit the bullet, so to speak, after the first few months. There was only one awful day each time a patch came off then it wasn’t so bad. I still had my oral prescription, which I took myself off of as soon as I was able to manage the pain.

Early on, I expressed my concern to the doctor about the very thing you’re describing. He told me that at the time, it was the least of their worries. Easy for him to say.

Is your son still in a lot of pain and hypersensitivity? Perhaps the doctor could switch him to an oral painkiller that would help with those things but is not as strong. Then gradually, over time, reduce the dosage. Like GH said, you really need to discuss it with the doctor.

Something else GH said re the fear of pain…oh yes, that is a nasty thing. GBS is horribly painful, at least initially. Rehab also hurts a lot. So, I think GH could be on to something there.

By the way, Voltaren helps a lot with the muscle pain. At least it did me. Didn’t take it away entirely but it did help.

Good luck with your son! Hopefully, the doctor will have some answers and solutions for you.