Reply To: Anemia Due To CIDP?

November 11, 2014 at 12:03 am

November 2014 update

I had the Bone Marrow Biopsy last month and finally learned what was causing my anemia:

“An abnormal amount of clonal B-cells are present in the marrow, and given the presence of an IgM kappa monoclonal paraprotein the differential diagnosis centers on marginal zone lymphoma and lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma. Too few plasma materials are present in this material and a low-grade B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder involving approx 60% of a hypercellular marrow is detected. Thus, we think the anemia is best explained by the low-grade lymphoma involving the marrow.”

In other words, I have a cancer that is producing too many cloned B-cells that filled up the space needed for my marrow to produce sufficient red blood cells in the same space.

Looks like the treatment will be Rituxan 712mg weekly for 8 weeks. This is supposed to kill off the clonal B-cells. More later…

I believe my CIDP is somehow responsible for my abnormal B-cell production (the doctors won’t rule it in or out), but it could also be the luck of the draw (and I drew the wrong straw, again).