Reply To: Shingles

March 17, 2014 at 2:28 am

I got Shingles while taking Prednisone for my CIDP. I was off Plasma Exchange (PE) at the time; else the PE would have probably stopped the Shingles from doing much damage. The Shingles attacked my right eye, mostly the area around my eyebrow, the pain was excruciating, so much so that I had to be hospitalized and given morphine. I was released after 3 days and fought the rest of the battle at home.

My treatment consisted of mega doses of Acyclovir (Zovirax). It took two months for the Shingles to subside because the Prednisone slowed my recovery. I have been off Prednisone for several years now, but still have residuals (itchy, numbness) from the Shingles on my eye.

Shingles (Herpes Zoster) is a virus, not an autoimmune disease. More details here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001861

Severity would be less and recovery faster if one’s autoimmune system was not compromised due to immunosuppressants like Prednisone. I feel PE would also help prevent a Shingles attack, or at least significantly reduce the severity.

I hope you recover quickly and completely.