Reply To: Anemia Due To CIDP?

February 5, 2014 at 11:28 pm

GH, CIDP is primarily an autoimmune disorder where antibodies attack the nerve fibers and cause neurologic damage. The connection between CIDP and anemia is in the blood where lymphocytes (from the autoimmune system) no longer recognize “self” (thanks to CIDP). These lymphocytes then go on the attack to remove invading organisms from our body. In doing so, they attack parts of the body itself. There is evidence of this in Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA), Evans Syndrome (ES), and other similar diseases. In these diseases the red blood cells are attacked by lymphocytes and killed off at a rate greater than the bone-marrow can reproduce more red blood cells.

Treatment for these types of anemia can be very similar to treatment for CIDP. Prednisone and IVIg are often used. More recently, Rituximab induced substantial improvement of AIHA and ES recoveries.

At this point I’m more concerned with finding and treating the causes(s) of my anemia since it is more life threatening to me than CIDP.

I hope you never get these complications, and if you do, I hope people will be more helpful than critical to you.