Reply To: Pre-GBS conditioning & GBS ambulatory status

January 22, 2014 at 8:48 pm

From what I have read, the factors that influence damage are medically technical and have to do with lymphocytes in your blood stream. Separate specialized testing must be done to differentiate the three types present in your blood:

B lymphocytes (B cells) are antibody-producing cells that are essential for acquired, antigen-specific immune responses. Fully mature B-cells are called plasma cells that produce antibodies, immune proteins that target and destroy bacteria, viruses and other “non-self” foreign antigens.

T lymphocytes (T cells): Some T cells help the body distinguish between “self” and “non-self” antigens. Others initiate and control the extent of an immune response, boosting it as needed and then slowing it as the condition resolves. Other types of T cells directly attack and neutralize virus-infected or cancerous cells.

Natural killer cells (NK cells) directly attack and kill abnormal cells such as cancer cells or those infected with a virus.

Those of us with GBS have immune systems that produce abnormal lymphocytes at some rate. Rates vary by individual and I have not heard of any way to effectively predict that. In my case my immune response was quite strong and I became completely paralyzed in 10 days. Others report a much more gradual progression.

Plasmapheresis (PE) will remove the GBS lymphocytes, but not stop your immune system from producing more. IVIg will stop your system from producing more, but do nothing to reduce what is already in your blood stream.

Hope this info helps.